In the below video, filmed at a Vivobarefoot Running Technique workshop, Shona demonstrates some of the key elements of an efficient endurance running technique:
- Short frequent steps (also know as high cadence) - of up to 180 footstrikes per minute
- Foot landing directly below the hips
- Landing on ball of foot first before the heel touches the ground
- Maintaining upright posture by squeezing glutes (buttocks) and engaging core
- Relaxed shoulders with arms bent 90 deg and swinging straight back and forth rather than across body
- Neck relaxed with face looking forward (rather than at the ground)
When learning to run, try to incorporate these elements into your running style in order to run further with minimal energy expenditure, and also to minimise the risk of injury. Be Patient - if you have been running for a while, changes to your running technique will not happen overnight. They will take months of practice to become automatic.